Monday, July 1, 2013

Bustin' Out the Camp Gear: All You Need is Your Laptop and Possibly Tea

Squealing Nerds, Unite!

We are back! The Squealing Nerd returns to blogspot in light of recent personal developments. My life as an independent blogger took a turn for the weird as my now ex-husband and I moved my blog to an independent server, which we both promptly lost access to--yet are still paying for. In hopes of feeding the nerd cake holes, I have retired my independently hosted blog and have returned to the old ways. Feel free to dance a jig. Go ahead. We'll wait.

Camp NaNoWriMo

So why am I sweating my bum off in 100 degree weather in a tent? Good question. Thank the black gods it's rhetorical. Camp NaNoWriMo is upon us. That means the wonderful people over at The Office of Letters and Light have decided to extend their wonderful hospitality to us for the month of July. Our goal: whatever we can churn out. The plan: to write as well as we're able for as long as we're able. I prepared an outline to expedite things for my novel, for which I am now taking title suggestions. The idea is to have a leisurely, indulgent month to enjoy our craft. Unlike the frantic race to the finish line in November, July is going to be a time for us to catch up on old projects, start new ones, or experiment with a literary medium we are not familiar with. I had high hopes of writing a film with my punk-rock boyfriend, but decided to finish my novel while my handsome boy toy goes to work his magic on a couple songs with his old band in Iowa. I expect nothing less than awesomeness (and vice versa), and when he returns, my novel will be completed, his songs will be recorded, and we will start our film. My friends, expect nothing less than awesomeness.


Camp NaNoWriMo requires nothing more than a well-air-condition place to work, a functioning word processor, whatever you can grab for snack food and a cool river to tube when we're finished. I favor tea and occasionally ice cream. Certain favorite members of my acquaintance favor an assortment of Popsicles that have been melted in the microwave. Whatever your CapNaNoWriMo fare, whatever your plans for the month, we all owe it to ourselves--especially those of us going through tough times (who isn't really?)--to have fun and enjoy this time. I'm off to crank out the first hundred words or so of the rest of my novel. Or sleep before writing all night. I haven't figured that out yet, and ya know what, there is no pressure. Just some hot cocoa and my story. In the grand scheme of things, that's all I really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment