Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To Aid Vol'Jin--The Rise of the Zandalari

Battle.net
Many of you have already downloaded the WoW: Cataclysm 4.1 patch and are already playing through the new Stranglethorn quests and the new dungeon content for Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman. Unfortunately, according to Battle.net, these are available only for level 85 characters with a gear score of 346 or higher. For those of us struggling to level almost three characters at once (if you count a level 80 night elf Death Knight and a level 51 worgen Priest in addition to two other slightly higher level characters), the new patch is a chance to resurrect characters that we have been neglecting because of their low level or mediocre gear score. That is why I present to you, guys, gals and geeks...

*Enormous fanfare followed by diffused applause*
From my Facebook feed.

Mozenrath! Level 76 blood elf warlock!

Do not let his meager gear score or comparatively low level deceive you. He is in fact quite powerful, not to mention that he has the awe-inspiring companion that is a fel guard to watch his back. Topping the charts in nearly all pvp encounters (except Warsong Gulch, where he spends a great deal of time dead), Mozenrath is a force for the Alliance to reckon with. Up until the recent faction transfer of my  husband's level 72 warrior, Augar, Mozenrath has trod the lonely path of "The Grind" entirely on his own, with neither guild assistance or party members. This is rare for me because many of my characters have been through The Grind paired with one of my husband's characters. Even the mighty level 80 Cthullhu, bearer of so much pride, cannot say that he leveled alone. Of all my characters, low or high level, I am the most proud of Mozenrath. He travels only in the company of his demon summons and answers to no one. He is often guildless and usually doesn't care. And just look at that hair!

Despite the daunting task of getting Mozenrath to 85, I feel confident about Mozenrath's role in the coming months in the battle against the Zandalari. As many of you know, the return of the Zandalari brings a new threat to Azeroth in the months following the Cataclysm in the form of the rise of the ancient troll empires that spanned great swaths of the Azeroth landscape. They are broken now in to three factions: the Amani, the Gurbashi and the Darkspear. The Amani and the Gurubashi remain a threat to those whose work lies predominately in the 35-45 area of Northern Stranglethorn Vale (now split between north and south). The Darkspear trolls remain solidly aligned with the Horde. After years of battling The Scourge out of their ancient temples and keeping the mad Amani and Gurubashi trolls in line, the Zandalari return to right wrongs done to them in the past.

This is where it gets interesting. The pull of the Zandalari is strong enough to unite the Gurubashi and Amani tribes, but not strong enough to break the will of loyal Vol'Jin, leader of the Darkspear trolls of the Horde. The Horde have been his people for centuries. Why should he fight the Horde in the name of dead gods for the honor of ancestors unheeded for thousands of years? Vol'Jin flat out refuses and tells his ancient brethren that if they bring war to Azeroth, he will stand against them. Vol'Jin will go as far as aiding the Alliance in making sure the ancient, all but extinct troll empire stays buried.

I for one give massive respect to Vol'Jin for setting his tusks and not betraying Garosh Hellscream and the other members of the Horde faction. I have long held the Horde in higher esteem than the Alliance (high and mighty and incredibly racist). I have designed Mozenrath's character around his devotion to the Horde. Silvermoon City lies forgotten in his past. His hearth has been set to Orgrimar since the first day he set foot in her earthen walls. The bonds he forges know no race. For him, no service is higher. Mozenrath has Exalted reputation with the Darkspear trolls, and should he take it into his head to have a strictly RP moment, one might find him clenching his fist, his eyes to the ground, his jaw set in a vicious stare. Should war come to Azeroth, Mozenrath will be there to fight along side the Darkspear trolls, alongside the Alliance if necessary.
But always, first and foremost, Mozenrath's loyalties lie with is his brothers among the trolls and orcs.

I look forward to The Grind in the coming months to get Mozenrath to 85, when we can begin the fight for Azeroth's chosen warriors.

For the Horde!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, you said 'high and mighty and incredibly racist'; wasn't that Garrosh you were talking about there? At the very least, 'vitalist', after what he's been saying about Sylvanas.

    < /shameless Forsaken propaganda >

    On the other hand, yay for solo-crazed PvP Warlocks! I think I'll crack mine out for another go soon; I have missed her so, but until I can actually afford Cataclysm, I've been focusing on exploring the new old world at lower levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing that with my Ally priest. I have very little time to actually play, and money is huge factor in that. Cata went a long way toward prolonging my credit card debt, so I try to play whenever I can. My husband has three lvl 85s *sigh*.

    *Waves away propogandistic statement) I meant historically, the Alliance are more racist than the Horde, Garrosh Hellscream not withstanding. That's kind of why Vol'Jin's resistance to Zandalari enticement is so cool. Garrosh is a loose cannon with little regard for Thrall's life work. If I were Vol'Jin, I'd get out while the getting was good, before Garrosh could find a reason to expel the Darkspear.

    (as you can see I've put entirely too much thought into this :p )

    ReplyDelete